Unified Brain Health Care
5 Essential Nutrition Tips to fight PCOS
Updated: Mar 30, 2021
Deepika T., Clinical Nutritionist, Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) Specialist, Unified Brain Health Care
Proper nutrition and a right diet plays the key role in controlling the unwanted symptoms of PCOS. Eating well is one thing you can do every day to take back control over your body and beating PCOS.
Here are 5 golden rules that every women with PCOS must know:
1. No processed foods: Avoid highly processed and refined foods such as sugar, white flour, breads and pasta, aerated beverages etc. Instead, eat whole grains like oatmeal, brown rice, millet, amaranth and quinoa. Avoid foods with refined sugar, high-fructose corn-syrup, artificial sweeteners, artificial colors, MSG, trans-fats and high saturated fat.
2. Eat small frequent meals: Eat every 3-4 hours to avoid spikes in your blood sugar. Focus on both quality and quantity aspects of what you eat.
3. Increase Fiber intake: Eat more foods that are high in fiber. It slows down digestion and it is effective at combating insulin resistance.
4. Enjoy protein: Protein helps feel full for longer, so you will eat less. This is a great way to help control your weight. Make sure that you have some protein at every meal and snack like chicken, turkey, beef or fish. Or, try vegetarian options such as legumes, soy or a quarter cup of nuts or seeds. Milk and low fat yogurt are also good sources of protein.
5. Stay very active: Making positive lifestyle changes are key to managing PCOS. Moderate exercise like brisk walking, jogging, cycling or swimming are all great activities that can help with PCOS. These aerobic exercises increase your body's sensitivity to insulin, which reduces your risk of cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes in addition to fighting PCOS.
Contact Us for signing up for our PCOS Care package which includes personalised consultations and everyday Daily Challenge Cards from our Clinical Nutritionist, Fitness Coach and Clinical Psychologist.
Unified Brain Health Care is one of a kind Neuro Rehabilitation Centre in Chennai for adults and children offering in person and online therapy in Cognitive Rehabilitation, Clinical Psychology, Speech Therapy, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Clinical Nutrition, Career Counselling, Fitness Coaching and Educational Intervention. We also offer help for PCOS, care during pregnancy, post-pregnancy care for new moms, infant and early childhood stimulation, care for caregivers and promote holistic brain health.